Monday, February 28, 2011

Thwarted Again...and Day 1: 30 Day Challenge

Oh GRRR.  Did I mention that I'm sick of this snow?  It had mostly melted yesterday so I thought oh great, I'll head to bootcamp Monday morning since I'm back on the bandwagon.  I was so tired...but woke up at 5am, dragged my butt out of bed, got dressed and headed out the door...only to look outside and see that we've got another two or three inches.  Argh, the snow has thwarted another workout!!  I live on top of a fairly steep hill so wasn't sure what it was like out and about...so decided to stay at home and do a quick work out on the stationary bike since I was already up.  So choked I tell ya.  I guess at least I got some exercise in!

So...I've found another challenge to do....you know me...put the word "challenge" in front of me and it's go time!


This is kinda like the ten day "getting to know you" thingie that I did last Fall...but a little more in depth and a heckuva lot longer!  I saw this over at Janetha's blog over at meals and moves...and find it really interesting to find out about other people, their thoughts and their experiences.  Must be the voyeur in me or something! 
So...without further delay...day one:  talk about my current relationship.

Holy...I just realized, Hubs and I have been together for almost 20 years.  I actually had to count it a few times to make sure that I counted correctly!  We met way way back in day in 1990 - I would have been the tender age of 21, Hubs himself just a baby at 22.  Victoria was having its first Miss Chinatown contest, and my best friend at that time L and I went go watch this momentous occasion - we knew quite a few people who were in the pageant, so we wanted to check this gig out.  We ended up running into a friend of hers from UBC who was there with her cousin...who was...you guessed it...Hubs.  It was funny, because all I remember from that first night was this guy just staring at me but I thought whatever, who is this dude...and didn't really think much of it. 

Fast forward to the next day at work...and what arrives other than a huge bouquet of flowers, a stuffed animal and a little note.  I was a little shocked to say the least...and at the time, completely not interested.  Hubs ended up befriending L (aaah, yes...he is wily and resourceful), and somehow we ended up being thrown together constantly in social situations.  We ended up becoming friends, and we'd do marathon phone calls - but I still wasn't that interested.  So totally meh...but not ever un-interested enough to fully 100% cut him loose. 

For two years, we carried on like this...and I don't know what it was but a part of me must have realized after spending a lot of time with Hubs, that I did, in fact, like him...and in 1992 we started dating.  It was weird, because we'd spent so much time as friends...but I think that's a big part of the reason why things have lasted as we got to know each other so well before becoming an "official" couple.  We dated for a long, long time before actually getting married in 2003...a lot of people pressured us, but being a stubborn ass Taurus, I wasn't going to listen to anyone else.  I was adamant that I wanted to finish school first, because I wanted to fully enjoy the wedding process, and not be a stressed out bride trying to juggle school, life, a career and wedding plans.  And I have to say, my wedding day was one of the best days of my life!  No regrets.

So here we are, in our 20th year together and working on our 9th year of marriage.  I'm glad that he was persistent because he's a good, good fella who is so supportive of all my choices (puts up with all my crazy running!) and makes me laugh every day.  Plus he loves to eat and shop as much as I do - what could be better than that, right?

No comments: