Thursday, August 8, 2013

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Oh the humanity.  So...remember how I just said that my butt was getting better?   That it wasn't hurting on my runs?  That things were looking up and I was feeling good?  Yeah, not so much.

Yesterday I did an easy run on the treadmill and then decided to do 3 sets of 10 squats and lunges.  Nothing crazy, no weights on either...done billions of squats and lunges in the past as they're a staple at bootcamp.  Butt was feeling good, I was happy...and then on the last set of lunges, I felt a small twang in my left inner thigh.  I stopped immediately and stretched it and tried again, and decided nope...better hold off and not push things.  It didn't hurt like crazy like when I hurt my glute, but I thought I'd just better be careful and thought it was a niggle.  Rollered and stretched as per my new routine.

This morning I get up and it feels OK.  Maybe a bit tight but nothing too bad, it felt a bit sensitive to the touch but I wasn't in major pain or anything like I was the last time.  I decided that to be on the safe side, I'd take a tensor bandage to work and ice it.  Then I look and I've got a freakin' bruise on my inner thigh...I've strained another &#*$#(@ muscle.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

this is what i looked like today when i saw the bruise 

Sob.  I feel like I'm taking two steps forward, one step back.  OK, three steps back maybe is more like it!  Is this a test from head office or something?  I know a lot of people are dealing with way worse injuries than me, and it's comforting to read how other bloggers are fighting their way back from strains, pulls and fractures and are doing great.  And really...first world problems, right?  Way bigger fish to fry in the grand scheme of things.  Just right now, I feel almost like I'm afraid to do anything because I'm worried about pulling something else...I'm almost scared to do any upper body stuff because if I strained my shoulder or something...well, may as well take me out back and put me out of my misery. 

Yes, I'm frustrated.  Yes, I'm pissed at myself.  Yes, I had a bit of a pity party today.  Exercise is a huge part of my life and basically my existence, so to not be able to do it really drives me crazy.  Anyways...next steps...rest for a few days, stick to some easy upper body stuff (am not willing to risk any injuries!) and then go from there.  And I guess I gotta look at the silver lining...butt feels awesome.  Always gotta look at the bright side...this too, shall pass.



1 comment:

Char said...

Ughh! You poor thing. You've had the worst run with injuries. Let's hope this is the last one. You're due for a bit of good health.