Saturday, December 8, 2012

Is it Wrong?

Is it wrong to love an inanimate object so much?  I love, love, love my new Vitamix...seriously love this thing.  I'll admit...when I first got it, I was a little afraid to use it.  I know these things are super durable and heavy duty, but I was so worried about breaking it somehow because...well, let's be blunt...these things are bloody expensive!  Once I worked myself up to it, I whizzed up my first smoothie and...

Total failure. 

Gah!  What did I do wrong?  Well, being silly, I pretty much just threw everything in there and you do have to take a bit of care and attention...I ended up with a big air pocket so the blades couldn't grab onto anything.  I dumped everything out and actually read the little Getting Started guide (yes, I'm one of those types) and I think a tear may have slipped down my cheek as my first green smoothie materialized.  Orange, grapes, grapefruit, apple and kale...it was delicious and smooth as silk!  Since then, I've made quite a few smoothies but haven't had a chance to experiment yet with soups or nut butters, but it's in the plan. 

So how do I find the actual machine?  It's incredibly high powered...a smoothie takes about 45 seconds to go from whole veggies or fruits to liquid...carrots are completely broken down.  It's loud, I won't lie...but a small price to pay for the power.  And the best thing yet is that it's easy to clean...fill it halfway, put in a few drops of dishsoap and whiz it again.  Within seconds, it's clean!  I've even managed to convince one of my bosses to get one of these beauties...we were talking about eating whole foods and I'd mentioned that I was going to get a Vitamix.  After I told him about how amazing it was, he went out and got one and has been whipping up soups and smoothies ever since and has been completely happy with it.  We've got another coworker interested as her husband is also a smoothie fan and is trying to incorporate more veggies and fruits in his diet as well. 

The other thing that I do is that on the same day I do the weekly cooking, I wash, peel and cut up all the veggies and fruits so it's all ready to go.  Ultimately, I'm an incredibly lazy person so if I have to wash, cut, peel veggies and fruits, etc. each time I want a smoothie, I'm not going to bother...so by prepping everything once a week, it's all ready to go and nutritious smoothies are literally seconds away. 

Vitamix...me love you long time.

1 comment:

Char said...

No it's definitely not wrong to love an electrical appliance more than your husband and kids but less than your dog. I love my mixer that much. I used to have a hand-held but now I've got a great big mother - makes amazing cupcakes.