Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Name is Cindy, and I Have a Problem

I was stalking perusing some blogs earlier today and noticed an interesting post that Amanda over at Run to the Finish  http://runtothefinish.blogspot.com/ had written about exercise addiction.  She was reading an article about it and was wondering about if she was an addict.  She included some sample questions so I thought it might be interesting to see if I'm considered "an addict":

I have missed important social obligations and family events in order to exercise - no, but I will make adjustments in my schedule to fit it in i.e. get up earlier

I have given up other interests, including time with friends, in order to make more time to work out - no

Missing a workout makes me irritable and depressed - yes

I only feel content when I am exercising or within the hour after exercising - no

I like exercise better than sex, good food, or a movie -- in fact there's nothing I'd rather do - uhhh...an emphatic NO.  Nothing trumps eating good food in my books!

I work out even if I'm sick, injured, or exhausted. I'll feel better when I get moving anyway - no if I'm sick or injured - yes if I'm just tired

In addition to my regular schedule, I'll exercise more if I find extra time - no

Family and friends have told me I'm too involved in exercise - ha!  yes

I have a history (or a family history) of anxiety or depression - no

Hmmm, so three yes's.  OK, so here is the blurb on what the quiz means:

"If you have checked three or more of these items, you may be losing your perspective on exercise. Exercise is healthy as long as it is in balance with a full life. It is recommended individuals who answer yes to three or more of the above items consult with a mental health professional or doctor for assistance."

Wow, so I need to go see a shrink for my "addiction".  Ha ha!  I know family and friends who aren't runners think that those of us who are training for marathons are a little insane and may see it as weird or an addiction.  I definitely do make time for exercise - it's a priority for me...but as I've said before, it's all about having balance and I'm working towards that all the time.  I admit - I'm addicted to endorphins and being healthy...and I'm addicted to the feeling of accomplishment when I finish a race or have a great run.  I suppose there's worse things I could be addicted to!  I definitely do spend a lot of time running, but it's for a specific goal - once the marathon is over, I won't be doing 3.5 hour runs for fun.  At least I don't think I will...baahaaaa! 

No comments: