Monday, May 14, 2012

Recharging



Aloha! 

I'm sure you can guess where I am right now.  Yep, back on the beautiful beaches of Maui and having an awesome, relaxing time!  We started off in Kauai for a few days as we'd never been to that island before... overall it was nice, but it was a bit too quiet for us and the weather wasn't as nice as Maui.  So far Maui has been fabulous...great weather, and lots of just sitting around reading on the beach and just chilling out.  Yes.

So...I checked when the last time I posted and it was May 1st...almost two weeks ago.  I'm going to be totally honest and admit that lately I've been in a bit of a funk which is resulting in a lack of blogging.  OK, I lie...I'm in a lot of funk.  While I still love to run, my heart hasn't been into the training for some reason and it's been hard for me to put my finger on why I'm feeling this way.  Part of it is that I seem to be fighting niggling injuries all the time that frustrate and thwart me...it's a lot of stopping and starting which, to put it plainly, really pisses me off.  The foot is feeling a lot better, but it's still there.  I was doing awesome on lifting weights, until my shoulder pain kiboshed that.  I've been having some weird knee pain lately and rib issues.  And just when the body starts to feel OK, I've been fighting bouts of sickness lately.  Arghhhh.  All these things make me take time off training, and when I get into the habit of not running or not exercising as much as I like to...well, things go to hell in a handbasket.  I start getting lazy, I let the food slip, I don't stretch, I start blowing runs off and I start making excuses.  I know, I know...maybe my body needs a break and I've been giving it rest...but I'm being truthful in how I feel.  To put it simply, I'm an all or nothing kind of girl and I've been in this weird running purgatory...this weird feeling of just not really caring or being motivated.

Admittedly, I've been somewhat avoiding blogs and all bloggieland over the last while (apologies to everyone in bloggieland, I've been really bad at reading and commenting lately!) because it was all just a reminder of my lack of mojo.  I can feel the spark coming back though...we didn't run for the first bit of our vacation as there was no good place to run where we were staying in Kauai, and by the fifth day I was dying to run.  Dying.  I couldn't believe how much I missed it.  On our first full day here, Hubs and I headed out bright and early and I could just run for the love of running...no Garmin, no pacing, no nothing...and it felt awesome to just move my body without a particular goal or time in mind.  And maybe that's exactly what I need...time away to get rested up, recharge and start fresh with a fresh new outlook.  So far, we've run every day we've been in Maui and I've been loving it.  This vacation might just be the best medicine to let me think about what I want, how I'm going to get there and what I need to do to get rid of all these niggly injuries...and what better place than to do it than paradise on earth, right? 

Year of Speed, it's not over yet.

1 comment:

Char said...

We all need time off to recharge. And seriously I don't think you could choose a better place to do it in. I'm glad you're starting to feel the love again.