Thursday, March 1, 2012

Three Things Thursday

1.  Victoria Goddess Run



Whoa, this is the year of half marys for me!  There's another cool run that I'm going to do this year...an inaugural race called the Victoria Goddess Run.  This is a women's run with some limited registrations for men...and there's going to be chocolate stations, champagne toasts, massages and music along the route.  And the best part...at the end you get bling!  Sounds pretty cool, eh?  So that's three halfs and one 10K race on schedule for this year!  I'm going to use this more as a training run as a few weeks later I'll be running the Scotiabank Vancouver, so plan on trying to pull out the stops for that one.  OK, who am I kidding...I want to fully check out the chocolate stations.  For feedback purposes to the organizers, of course.  Heh.

2.  Mindful Strides

So Hubs and I finished the first level of the Mindful Strides clinic, and immediately signed ourselves up for the Intermediate level.  Like I've said before, I get glimpses of what I'm supposed to feel but it's pretty hard to get rid of years and years (and hours and hours) of muscle memory in a few weeks.  I will admit though, it gets frustrating because I think as humans we want immediate results and the body positioning is so picky that you think you have it when it juuuust isn't quite right...but Rome wasn't built in a day, right?  So we're sticking with it as we really like Marilyn and she encouraged us all to stick with it.  Anyways, apparently the intermediate level is where things really start to click (we work a lot with elastic bands) and we're toying with the idea of doing some private lessons with just Hubs and I.

3.  Reading



Lookit, lookit!  I'm reading.  I've been pretty bad so far this year on my reading goal and have only knocked off one book so far.  But in my defense, it was a running book so that counts for something, right?  Anyways, I just started this book that I found at a used book store and snatched up as soon as I saw it.  I find nutrition is the most difficult thing for me to get a handle on because I have to take so many things into account...fueling for runs, recovery after runs, how to eat before races...and a big one that I struggle with is racing weight.  It's so easy to put on weight in the off season (especially when it's Christmas), so what do most people do to lose weight?  Cut back calories, but then that leaves me tired and lacking energy for long runs.  It's like this crazy circular thing.  Anyways, hoping this will help shed a lot of light onto what I find to be a totally fascinating subject. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like an awesome race. Although, I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm not sure I could actually stomach chocolate during a half mary. Now afterwards...

Char said...

Chocolate stations? Did someone say chocolate? It could well worth me coming across to the other side of the world for that race. Or alternatively I could just go to the supermarket and but some chocolate.

Unknown said...

Cool, I've never heard of that race. I've already got 3 HMs on the schedule and am thinking about 2 more...can I fit in a 6th? Hmm...

Rena said...

You had me at chocolate. That sounds like an amazing race! I wish I could do it.