Sunday, September 23, 2012

Goodlife VIctoria Half Marathon - Week 13 Recap

Aiieeeee!  Can't believe that the race is just a few weeks away.  I'm excited to see what effect the hill and speedwork that I've been doing is going to have on my time.  Kinda glad that there's still some time left before the race though...yesterday Hubs and I were out at Rona and I accidentally kicked the back of his heel just as he was bringing his foot back and somehow ended up tearing off a huge chunk of the nail on my left big toe...it was soooo painful that I had to run off into an aisle and grit my teeth to stop myself from uttering a long string of curse words.  It's feeling a bit less sore today and I'm sure it'll be fine by the time race day rolls along, but I'm sure glad I didn't do this any later!  I need all the help I can get to achieve my goal and don't need no sore toe holding me back.

This week's workouts:

Sunday - rest

Monday - bootcamp

Tuesday - rest

Wednesday - bootcamp
Wah.  I was feeling really crappy Wednesday and didn't think I could get myself through a speed sesson so decided to skip the run clinic.  Sob.  I felt OK when I got up but felt extra winded at bootcamp and had this weird  headache that came on in waves...throughout the day I'd start to feel better and then the weird headache and sick feeling would come back so I thought forget it.  The antibiotics I was taking for my spider bite were also playing havoc with my stomach so I was a hot mess.  Blah. 

Thursday - clinic
We had a fantastic clinic Thursday night...fantastic!  I almost didn't go to work because I was feeling like ass in the morning (stomach still bugging me) but as the day went on, I felt a lot better and decided to go to the clinic.  Soooo glad I did...Marilyn videotaped us (ack!), and it was an incredible eye opener.  I totally thought I had it, but I soooo didn't...still reaching, not landing under my body, and actually heel striking!  Gah!  Hubs, on the other hand, was the star of the class...his form was virtually perfect, which is funny because he was the one who was getting frustrated and almost quit but I encouraged him to stay with it.  Ha!  So proud of Hubs...he's been really good about working on his form...he's not been concentrating on speed at all, but running much slower than usual but maintaining proper body positioning.  I've been trying to keep my speed up, but then my form goes to hell in handbasket and it totally showed.  Anyways, Marilyn had us do another drill that mimicked what our body position should be and videotaped us again, and the second time around my form totally improved...I landed under my body and I had the proper lean position...woohoooo!  Total improvement and I had all these a-ha moments because now I knew exactly what I needed to do to get it.   I think what I'm going to do is take one more advanced session with Marilyn (Hubs said he'd do it with me) and really work on form for the next few months as our distances will be shorter and I'm not working towards any races.  Sounds like a plan, Stan!

Friday - bootcamp

Saturday - 18K run
Hurray, last long run before we start tapering.  I really like the Pen Run training schedule...we did two 18K and two 20K runs, so I feel good and ready for the distance.  Hubs and I went out on the trail by our place, and Hubs had a stellar run...absolutely awesome!  He was feeling good and was keeping up paces at around 5:45 - 6:00...pretty fantastic as normally he's running around a 6:30 pace!  I think he's also really happy and encouraged now that he knows that his form is good, so now he feels he has the go ahead to start working on his speed.  I predict a PB for my boy! 

Bring on the taper.

1 comment:

Char said...

Another really good week of training for you. Sounds like your better half is heading for a great run.