Monday, April 22, 2013

2013 - Week 16 Recap

For those of you who are super astute...yes, I skipped right from Week 14 to Week 16.  Normally I recap my week on Sundays or Mondays...and...well, we all know what happened on Monday and recapping my week just really didn't seem all that important, KWIM?  It's been an incredibly emotional week to say the least and to be honest, I'm a bit shocked at how hard this has hit me.  Some people will wonder why I feel so strongly about this...I didn't know anyone running this year, I've never been to Boston and would never have a hope in hell of ever qualifying.  However, these people hurt the running community that I love so much.  I've seen glimpses of the good side of humanity this week which gives me hope, but I'm going to feel sad/angry/heartbroken about this for a bit but I'll deal with it how I usually deal with things like this...by putting on my shoes and running.

Sunday:  30 mins treadmill
This week I was heading to Van for a conference and was unsure how many workouts I was going to be able to fit in, so I decided to squeeze in an extra insurance workout.

Monday:  PISE p.m.
Spartacus workout...yowza!  OK I've done this workout at home, but I will fully admit that I don't quite push myself as hard as when Josh is standing there, giving me the old staredown.  Ha!  I was soooo sore for the next two days and the workout was exactly what I needed to distract myself from all the day's events in Boston and helped me release some of the tension and emotion...exactly why exercise is such an important part of my life.  Also found out that Josh is going to be with us a month longer (hooray!) so he'll be training us until the end of May and then we'll be working with a different trainer...all the ladies want to continue on so it looks like we're all doing another session until the end of July.  This week coming up will be the last week of the first session, so look out for a post on how I did!

Tuesday:  6K run for Boston
Even though I was insanely sore and could hardly walk from Monday's Spartacus, I felt compelled to go for a run after work...I suppose it was my way of showing my support for those in Boston.  It was a gorgeous, sunny warm day and I just had to lace up my shoes and get out there.  It felt good to just put one foot in front of another and hit the road.

Wednesday:  rest
Off to Vancouver for a conference!  No workout today as I got in late.

Thursday:  30 mins Spartacus
The conference started at 7:30am, so I dragged my decrepit old carcass up at 5am to get to the gym.  It was awesome...there was no one in there so I tucked myself in a little corner and pounded out three rounds of Spartacus.  To motivate myself to push harder I imagined Josh was there, giving me the stinkeye if I slacked off.  Hee hee.

Friday: 20 mins treadmill
Up at 5am again to fit in a short workout...just some easy running on the treadmill to get the blood moving. 

Saturday:  10K run
Woohooo!  Saturday was my birthday, and I had the absolute best day ever.  I woke up to my phone pinging with Facebook messages and texts wishing me happy birthday...makes me so grateful for the people in my life.  We slept in a bit (yes!!) and then headed out for a 10K run along a local trail that we run a lot during the summer.  It'd been awhile since we'd done this trail and it was so nice to just head out with Hubs...such beautiful sunny day.   Later on we squeezed in a bit of shopping, went out for some yummy Japanese food and then settled in for the evening to watch the Canucks game where my boys did me proud and clinched a playoff spot!  We even had a bit of cake...I say that calories, fat and sugar don't count on birthdays...that's my story and I'm stickin' too it!

FOOD:
Bah...food was not great this week, mostly because I was feeling a bit crave-y and was on the road eating conference food.  Cleaning it up for this week for sure...and yes, I still owe everyone a post on how the new clean eating is going! 

RECIPES:
I bought Gwyneth Paltrow's new cookbook "It's All Good" recently and tried a bunch of recipes out of it last week...the recipes aren't vegan, but all are gluten and dairy free which is right up my alley.  Recipes I tried were pasta with tuna, olives, fried capers and parsley (had anchovies and garlic too...this was fantastic), turkey meatballs in tomato sauce, Thai chicken burgers and lentil salad with mustard and tomatoes. 



1 comment:

Char said...

Happy birthday for Saturday. I totally get how getting in your run is an important part of celebrating another year.

We've all been shaken by the events in Boston. I still cannot fathom why anyone would want to hurt another human let alone groups.