Monday, April 8, 2013

2013 - Week 14 Recap

Sigh...so another week of being thwarted from getting my workouts in!  Last week I was sick...this weekend my back totally went out on me.  Like I've said before, nothing makes me crabbier than not exercising...I'm well onto Day 3 of no workouts, and I'm startin' to get a wee bit owly and a l'il stir crazy.  I'm super hypermobile so while it's great that I'm extra bendy and flexible and can do all sorts of weird tricks with body, my ribs sometimes don't really like to stay where they should.  I was innocently sitting on the couch and my neck felt a little stiff and immediately I thought uh oh...within a few hours, I could barely turn my neck and my muscles were totally starting to seize up and spasm.  I have no clue what triggered it but I'm thinking that I was likely a bit out for awhile and I just made some small movement that did it.  Luckily my chiropractor's office is open on weekends so I jetted myself in as soon as I could...turns out I had ribs out on both sides of my back...gah!  Anyways, things are settling down and feeling better...on the bright side, it's been almost a year since the last time my back went out this badly...I've managed to keep it under control with massages, yoga and regular chiro visits...and why I really wanted to do more strength training.  Compare this to when it used to happen every few weeks...well, I'll take it.  Gotta look at the bright side of everything, folks!

So...what did I get up to this week then?

WORKOUTS:

Sunday - 20 mins treadmill, 20 mins Spartacus

Monday - 20 mins treadmill, 40 mins Spartacus
Seriously, I was a Spartacus monster on the long weekend!  Four rounds of Spartacus was hitting my max for sure...I was beat by the end of this workout.

Tuesday - yoga
Yup!  Made it to yoga.  And it was awesome.

Wednesday - PISE bootcamp, 25 mins treadmill
Crrraaaaaccccccckkkk!  What was that sound you ask?  That was the sound of five womens' hearts collectively breaking as Josh told us that he likely wouldn't be training us for another round of bootcamp...I totally feel like I just got broken up with or something...hah!  I know, I know...there are lots of trainers but I tend to get a little attached to people and it's so nice to like and feel comfortable with your trainer.  I am thankful though that I've been lucky enough to like all the trainers I've had at PISE and BDHQ, so I'm grateful for that.  Anyways, after Josh delivered this devastating blow and I slowly crawled out of the fetal position from underneath the weight bench, the ladies chatted and it sounds like everyone still wants to continue training together.  Gotta say, I really like our little gang of five ladies...so great to work out with such a fun group. 

Thursday - rest

Friday - bootcamp
Wooohooo!  D texted me to see if I was into bootcamp for Friday morning...umm, hells yeah!  D usually has to take April off as her hubby is busy with tax season so I was excited to go and work out...I know, I could go on my own but it's hard for me to get motivated when my buddy isn't there with me.  Great class...and glad I fit one last tough workout in because I was going to physio that afternoon, and after an IMS session, I have to take a day off to recover.  I've been having some issues with my right calf and knee and I knew it would be because of muscle tightness...my physio confirmed it, and the tightness was pulling my right side out of alignment.  Out came the dreaded needles...not gonna lie, it was super painful and some spots made me hit the roof...I have a total love/hate thing for IMS...love the results but hate the process!  I have to make a preventative maintenance plan so I don't let things get out of hand...I think quarterly physio and massages combined with regular chiro visits should keep me all tuned up.

Saturday - rest
Day spent recovering from IMS...until my back went out.  Grr.

FOOD:
Separate post to come on this topic!

RECIPES:
Salmon with garlic, lemon and dill.

1 comment:

Char said...

I didn't realise that there were so many issues caused by being flexible.It was always something that we tried to improve so more has to be better, right? Makes me almost glad that I can hardly touch my toes.