Sunday, May 12, 2013

2013 - Week 19 Recap

Man, we've had some pretty amazing stretch of nice weather lately!  Things are a bit rainy and cool today, but it's all good as things were getting a bit dry and we needed the rain.  With all this great weather, I've had the itch to enter a race again...not so much to race because...well, to be honest, I'm running as slow as molasses these days but I'm cool with it.  Anyways, I picked up the latest Runners' World magazine and they were highlighting colour runs and I kinda thought that would be a fun thing to do.  Intrigued, I looked into it and found one in Vancouver called the Colour Me Rad 5K...looks pretty awesome, no?  Now just to convince Hubs that he wants to do it with me and get covered in coloured cornstarch in places where the sun don't shine.  Poor Hubs...always getting dragged along with his crazy wife.  Heh.

WORKOUTS

Sunday: rest

Monday: bootcamp a.m./PISE p.m.
Grooooaaaan.  Man, 5:00a.m. sure comes fast.  Not sure what's up, but I've been battling some pretty rough headaches lately...I had one come on strong Sunday evening and I kept waking up throughout the night as it was throbbing so badly.  Luckily when I got up to go to bootcamp, it had mostly gone away which was good...I'd promised D I would meet her and I hate jamming on her!  Great workout out by Esquimalt Lagoon...I'm truly amazed at how much the strength has made a difference in my running.  We started off our workout with a really long gradual hill that normally would have killed me but I was actually able to run all the way up while chatting with the trainer.  I couldn't believe it.  Seriously, am a fan of strength now.  Evening at PISE was another circuit done outside, so we could enjoy the gorgeous weather.

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: bootcamp a.m./PISE p.m.
OK, doing two double cardio days right away may not have been such a great idea...I should have maybe gotten back into it slowly.  Jason taught the morning class and the location was a local park called Thetis Lake...I shoulda know better as all we did that morning was hill after hill after hill after hill with pushups, tuck jumps and squats thrown in for good measure...was absolutely exhausted after.  Again, I couldn't believe how good I was feeling and was rocking the hills when a pretty cool thing happened...I was running up the steepest part and one of the newer ladies in the class said that I inspired her...my first thought was to look around and think that she must have meant someone else, but I realized I was alone and she was talking to me!  Seriously made my day...OK maybe, my year.  Evening class at PISE was a similar circuit to Monday, but we got to get out some of our frustrations as Josh busted out the sledgehammers and tires...woohoo!  It took a little getting used to and I'm not coordinated at the best of times, but it was fun to vent out some latent frustrations on that tire.  The only non-fun moment came right at the end when I accidentally smashed my shin with the sledgehammer after I'd finished taking a swing and was switching arms.  Yep, smashed myself real good...it seriously took every ounce of willpower in my body to not scream out a long string of obscenities as I bit back the pain and tried to not crumble into a girly pool of tears and run blubbering to Josh.  Bruise made me look kinda badass though.

Thursday:  rest
So tired from Wednesday.  Sooo tired.

Friday: PISE p.m.
All the hill work this week after not having done any for over a month wreaked some havoc on my right quad...Mr. Quad was feeling pretty sore and tender, so I was doing RICE on it since Wednesday and decided to not bootcamp Friday morning.  Friday night was TRX and a HIIT session...I've worked with TRX before but liked it so much that I went and bought the kit so I can do it at home...such a keener. 

Saturday: 30 mins Spartacus
Finally, the week is over!  Hubs wasn't in the mood for a long run after playing hockey Friday night and I was exhausted, so we did three rounds of Spartacus and called it a week. 

FOOD:
I know...I keep promising a food post!  It's been 10 weeks since we started our super ultra clean eating so was going to recap how things are going.  A little bit of good news?  Hubs took his blood pressure today and it's dropped...makes it all worth it.

RECIPES:
Veggie tofu stir fry from Power Foods.

1 comment:

Char said...

Ouch! A sledgehammer to the shin is never going to end well.

I think it's great that you're inspiring people. You're just going about your business trying to improve yourself and in the process people are watching and taking note AND trying to be like you. That's awesome.