Sunday, July 21, 2013

2013 - Week 28/29 Recap

OK, my broken ass is pissing me off.  I know, I know...people get injured all the time and I've been able to continue to exercise so I haven't turned into a total couch potato, but there's nothing that replaces that feeling of hitting the wide open road and just giving 'er.  I haven't quite hit the "feeling sorry for myself" stage quite yet, more the "wish this would just effing heal so I can get on with it" kinda feeling.  I think I haven't quite fallen into the depths of despair because I've been able to continue to work out even if I'm not able to run so I'm not getting too cagey, thank goodness...but it still kinda sucks.  Anyways, not rushing it and just being patient.  If my foam roller was my best friend before, that thing is now glued to me at the hip figuratively and literally...I've been rollering every day and faithfully doing my rehab exercises.  I've even been rollering my butt at work when things feel tight from too much sitting!  Anyways, I won't bore you with all the gory details of Week 28, but I did mostly intervals on the bike to keep my cardio up, PISE classes with modifications, and some home workouts.  No bootcamps as it's a lot of running and hill sprints with scads of squat, lunges and burpees...not what the ol' butt needs right now!  Anyhoo, on to Week 29.

WORKOUTS:

Sunday: intervals
Doing intervals of 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off on the stationary bike.  Yup, it's a total sweatfest and I'm just dripping in sweat after!

Monday: PISE
Le sigh.  I may have pushed myself a teeny bit harder than I should have at class...I thought some bodyweight squats would have been OK but apparently not.  Butt was feeling tight and sore the next day.  Blah.

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: PISE
Sob...last class at PISE for the summer!  I can't believe it's been six months since we started these sessions and I'm so, so happy that I've been fortunate enough to be part of this group.  I've discovered I love strength training and want to do more of it in the future...I've always been way more cardio-focussed so am really happy that I've managed to build up my strength so things are more balanced.  I've learned a lot about proper form and have tons of exercise routines from all the workouts we've done so I'll continue on with these while we're off for the summer.  The ladies are all super gung ho for another round starting in late August/September and I'm so signing up for sure!  This week coming up I'm going to take it a bit easy on the workouts...I think because I've been going at things pretty hard core for the last six months and I'm facing some niggles, so a little extra rest is in order starting with a massage Friday night.  Yesss.

Thursday: rest

Friday: intervals
More bike intervals in the morning.  These things are not easy in the morning when I'm barely half awake.

Saturday: home workout
Hubs went for a run while I went downstairs and did a ladder workout that we did at PISE, working from ten to one on the following exercises:

Bent over row
Glute bridge
Push press
Mountain climbers
Situps
Shoulder press
Pushups
Stability ball roll-ins
Renegade row
Burpees (chest to floor but no jump...NOT risking it!)

I adapted all the lower body stuff to upper or core, and man...my upper body is really feeling it today, oooch.

FOOD:
A few naughty things leapt into my mouth this week.  Being better this week for sure, but it's my tenth wedding anniversary this upcoming weekend so I'm throwing all caution and better judgement to the wind and definitely something celebratory will be had!

RECIPES:
Huh.  I didn't make anything new and exciting this week.  Rats.

1 comment:

Char said...

Sore butts can be such a pain. I've been having a few niggles with mine and I've had to get up close and personal with my foam roller and a tennis ball. The tennis ball is the most challenging because it creates quite a bit of interest with the furry family members.