Sunday, June 6, 2010

14K - 1/4 of the Way There!


Wow - just realized that I'm 25% done the training for the marathon. Kewl! Hubs and I headed out for a few loops around our neighbourhood at around 8am yesterday morning - an absolutely gorgeous, warm day in Victoria. I started off feeling a little sluggish and slow but once my body warmed up and I shook off the excesses of the prior evening, I was all good. One of my oldest friends had her wedding shower Friday night and it was a great get together complete with tons of food...delicious, rich foods packed full of fat, calories and dairy. AWESOME!! Anyways, the run ended off strong - overall pace was 6:15, 780 calories burned, 1:30:28 to complete. Pre-race fuel was a banana and I didn't bother taking any gels as I usualy take them for runs of 18K or longer. Earlier in the week I'd done a bootcamp where there was a ton of beach running and my knee was bugging me. It was acting up and feeling sort of twingy but felt fine yesterday. Yipppee!

When I got home, I had a protein shake to help recovery and rebuild muscle. I threw together a shake in my Magic Bullet with one scoop soy protein powder, 1 tsp cocoa powder, 1/2 banana, some strawberries, ice, light soy milk and a squirt of agave. Sometimes I'll put a tiny bit of xantham gum to thicken it up so it's almost like a pudding. Yum! Prior to discovering that I was dairy intolerant, our post recovery drink of choice was chocolate milk - apparently it has the perfect balance of carbs and protein and it doesn't hurt that it's sooooo tasty. I've read a lot of stuff that says that you have about half an hour after exercise to get your protein in for the best effect, so I try to have some sort of recovery drink within that timeframe if I can.

I've also found the perfect mantra to keep me going when I run the marathon, courtesy of A., who posted it on her Facebook status:

"Believe that you can keep going, long after you think you can't"

Now how perfect is that!? I'm going to have to write real small on my hand, but I loved it as soon as I read it. They say the last 10K is all mental so whatever I can do to keep my head in it is great - tks A!

No comments: