Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's June - Right?

Brrrr. It's June on the Wet Coast and it's a cold, windy, rainy evening. I suppose I shouldn't be all that surprised as our summers are usually slow to kick off. I'm actually kind of glad because I haven't got any of my gardening started yet but I want to plant a new bed this year. I don't have much time before it really starts to heat up and then I've lost my opportunity for the year so I gotta get my butt in gear. In addition to my running and food addiction, I also LOVE to garden. I'm hoping to get a veggie garden in next year cuz I just didn't get around to planning it this year - this marathon training gig is keepin' me busy!

I was doing our menu planning for next week and wanted to share a recipe for a brown rice and black bean salad that we really like. It's quick and super easy to make, keeps well and it's pretty versatile - we eat it as is for a fast meal, have it as a side or put it into wraps with some chicken, hummus or feta cheese/veggies - yum. I discovered it in Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Cookbook and it makes our rotation quite often.

Black Bean and Rice Salad

3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

1.5 cups corn (frozen or canned works fine)
1.5 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onions
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
pinch red pepper flakes
3 cups cooked brown rice
salt and pepper to taste

In a small bowl, combine first four ingredients. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and toss with dressing.

Makes 8 servings. 193 calories, 5g protein, 34g carbs, 4g fibre, 4g fat.

Now how easy is that, eh? Give this one a try, you won't be sorry.

No comments: