Monday, November 14, 2011

The Dark Side


Yes, folks...I've gone to the dark side.  It's been years in the making, but I've finally given in.  Now you guys are probably thinking what the heck...what's going on?  Is she starting a diet of Doritos and pop?  Has she given up running?  Has she been lured by the swan song of the triathlon?  What the heck is up?!

Nope...I've finally, finally...given in to skinny jeans.   When skinny jeans first came out I scoffed at them...I love me a good boot cut or flared jean, so when I saw these atrocities I swore up and down I would never wear them.   I would eye girls who wore skinny jeans disparagingly, gloating in my fashion superiority.  "Real women don't wear skinny jeans" was my motto and I stood firmly by this.

Then a funny thing happened.  I bought some awesome boots in Hong Kong, and my boot cut jeans kinda looked funny tucked into them...I looked like I should have a banjo or fishing rod in my hands or something.  I started wearing leggings tucked into the boots (Lulu's Wunder Unders), and kinda liked that look when paired with a tunic or comfy sweater.  However, being wary of the "tights are not pants" movement, I was worried about being one of "those" people who wear leggings inappropriately and decided to get with the times and go get myself a pair of skinny jeans to avoid showing up in a magazine as a fashion don't.

I headed off to the mall this weekend to check things out...damn, jeans are expensive!  I finally ended up at the Gap where I started to try some jeans on.  I admit...I fully admit...that I even tried a pair of jeggings on.  I know, I know...I should turn myself into the fashion police, right?  It was hilarious though because I think the good folks over at the Gap know all about the whole jegging backlash, and call them "jean leggings".  Whatevs, people...they're jeggings!  Anyways, their jeggings made me look like a little Asian bratwurst so I ended up buying a few pairs of their Always Skinny jeans in black and a dark wash and darn it...these things are super stretchy and uber comfy.  Sold.

So...I gotta say....I'm a convert now for sure.  I know...what's the world coming to, right?  Pretty soon I might even start wearing colour.  Ha!  Psyche.

No comments: