Monday, May 3, 2010

Monday Monday

On a windy rainy Monday, I thought I'd start off with a shout out to all the folks who ran the BMO Marathon in Vancouver yesterday. The weather wasn't the best and it was rainy, but they went out and did an awesome job - so cheers to my FIL, Vic (mwah), Adrien (3:45 - you rocked it girl) and all the others who went out there and got 'er done - nice work! A little extra special shout out to my FIL who's an avid runner and doing marathons at age 65 - I sure hope I can do that when I'm his age.


As with a lot of other runners, the ultimate dream is to qualify for the Boston Marathon. This is on my "bucket list" and an absolute dream of mine. Qualifying time for someone my age is to do a marathon in 3 hours, 45 minutes which would mean I would have to run at a 5:20 min/km pace for 42K. My average 10K pace was 5:30 min/km so I can't even fathom keeping up that kind of pace for four times the distance. I've got a lot of work ahead of me but I'm GONNA do it one day...I'm just gonna put that little thought out to the universe and see what she does with it.


The thing that always boggles my mind when I look at my pace is that the elites can run this thing in the same time it takes me to do a half marathon...most of their times are around the 2hr-ish mark meaning they're running at a pace of around 3:00 min/km. Like these guys and gals are pretty much sprinting for 42K. I don't know if I could even do that pace for 42 feet, let alone 42K! The kick and turnover they must have in their legs is crazy and they must be in such amazing shape. I was watching "Spirit of the Marathon" and this guy was saying that his treadmill didn't even go that fast.

Now THAT is awe inspiring.

No comments: