Thursday, December 23, 2010

Signing Out For Christmas Break


Wow...can't believe Christmas is only a couple of days away!  I think we're ready - it's been a busy, crazy, hectic time, so I'm really looking forward to chilling during the Christmas break and taking 'er easy.  Hubs and I are done all the gift shopping, and headed out tonight to fight the crowds at the grocery store to pick up all the fixings for Christmas dinner.  I love cooking for other people so actually look forward to this every year and am testing out a few new recipes and a new method of cooking the turkey - am I crazy?  I've been doing it for so many years and have turkey dinner down to a science, so I might live to regret this...but I'm willing to give it a whirl anyways.  So here's what's on the menu:

Turkey with gravy/cranberry sauce
Ham with mustard sauce
Mashed garlic po-ta-toes
Homemade stuffing (new recipe)
Brussel sprouts sauteed with garlic
Broccoli
Baked sweet potatoes
Turnip puff
Glazed maple carrots
Celery root puree (new recipe)
Raspberry semifreddo (new recipe)
Rice (this is for my dad, who just doesn't feel happy unless he eats rice for dinner)

I'm super excited to test out making stuffing from scratch - I admit, I've done Stove Top the last few years and it's been less than stellar.  We used to buy this fabulous Fletcher's frozen stuffing but it's not available anymore...now that stuff was tasty!  I was sad when we couldn't find it anymore.  Anyways, look out for some new recipe postings over the next while - I've heard the semifreddo is fabulous, and I've discovered a few to die for cookies while doing the Christmas baking that I've been meaning to share with everyone (including the recipe for the most fabulous peanut butter cookie ever - no lie).  Before we have this feast though, Hubs, my FIL and I are going out for a good long run on Christmas morning...gotta work off some of the semifreddo, right?

So with that, I'm signing out for the Christmas break - wishing you all a wonderful, happy Christmas with your loved ones.  Peace out, homies!

No comments: