Thursday, December 16, 2010

Three Things Thursday

  1. OK, whose bright idea was it to try to lose weight during Christmas?! I kid, I kid...sorta...hee hee. I'm sure once I'm past the crunch time and done the weigh in on the 30th, I'll be happy that I didn't pack on the usual winter coat I gain every December....but right now, man it's effing hard. I'm not doing too badly with the stuff like chips and cookies, but the eating out is killin' me! We've got dinner parties this Friday and Saturday, plus three Christmas lunches next week to get through...sometimes there's nothing really healthy on the menu, or it's really hard to resist temptation especially for a foodie like me. Hope I survive relatively unscathed!
  2. I sent the package off to my adopted soldier...yippeee! I emailed the organizer to let her know I'd sent the package out earlier this week, and she sent me back a really touching email thanking me. She then added that it would give hope and happiness to the recipient as they faced their next challenge - my soldier was being shipped out in the next few weeks to weed out Taliban insurgents in a really violent and volatile area of Afghanistan. I gotta admit, I got really verklempt thinking about these men and women who are out fighting on the front lines away from family and loved ones while we're here nice and safe in the comforts of our own home. Kind of puts things into perspective when I think about the trivial things that stress me out...these brave people are doing a job that so many of us would never do, or even think about. Anyways, I just really really hope that he gets the package before he heads out on his next mission.
  3. I don't know if I've turned into a huge crybaby or if it's this time of year that makes me like this, but I swear everything is getting to me...for the love of Pete, I was crying my eyes out while I was watching the Biggest Loser finale this week (you go Ada!)! Anyways, there was this story in our local paper that made me bawl my face off today...it really touched me and was a good reminder to be thankful for what we have and to not forget to help those who are less fortunate...which is so easy to do when we're so busy with the season and get wrapped up in our own worlds.

No comments: