Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Goodbye Geb

I got a little (OK, a lot) verklempt after seeing this video - Haile Gebrselassie, (also affectionately known as Geb) one of the greatest runners of our time, had to announce his retirement after a DNF at 16 miles at the New York City Marathon.  This guy is the world record holder in the marathon at 2:03:59 - basically this man can run the marathon the same time it takes me to the half - this guy is crazy fast.  Amazing.

Enjoy your retirement, Geb.  We'll miss ya.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

My dad and I are huge Geb fans. I was "watching" the marathon via the Runner's World Twitter feed, and when they announced that Geb had withdrawn, I sent the first OMGWTF!! email to my dad. When Geb announced his retirement, I sent another one, and my dad replied with links and videos to some of Geb's accomplishments.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the running world next, and where the records go from here...

Hunnybee said...

I heard he's now wavering on retirment. We'll have to see.