Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Bugger Off Germs

The title of this post says it all, eh?  Funny how things work...yesterday I was sitting at my desk thinking "Wow...isn't this awesome?  I've run three long runs, and I'm feeling great!  I haven't been feeling sick or anything.  This time last year, I got so run down and was sick on the long weekend.  That sure was a bummer."

Famous last words.

No sooner did I get home and sit on the couch when my head started to feel funny, I felt a tickle in my nose, I had slight chills whenever I moved and my throat felt tight.  Nooooooooo!  I slammed down a bunch of Cold FX, megadosed on vitamin C, and took multiple shots of an immune booster my naturopath gave me to take for "acute episodes".  Hubs and I went to bed early, and in the middle of the night I woke up totally feeling like ass and wasn't sure if I was going to make it to work even.   And on top of that, I couldn't stay asleep because I was hungry - anyone who is marathon training ever have that happen?  After a snack, I finally fell into a deep sleep which I think was the key...when I woke up I felt a lot better.

Because I was feeling so crappy, I decided to skip my morning run...it totally pained me to do it, but I thought you know...one day off won't kill me, and the rest is better than pushing it. I totally feel racked with guilt, but I know it was the right thing to do. Gah. Anyways, for breakfast I made myself a protein shake packed full of fruit, Vegegreens protein powder (one serving equivalent to eating a whack of veggies) and L-glutamine (good for immune system plus muscle recovery), a Greens+ drink, and 13 pills to take (combo of my regular supplements and Cold FX/vitamin C et al as previously mentioned).


Must have done the trick, because right now I'm  not feeling too shabby.  Crisis averted...at least for now.

No comments: