Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Trusting My Training

Yeah...so I know I said I was super happy after last week's long run, and I was thinking positively, yadda yadda?  So I wasn't being totally truthful.  Yes, I was happy and ready to do a jig because my foot seems to be behaving.  I'm still fretting though, because last week was the start of three back to back long runs, and it was around this time last year when my foot gave out on me...or in my mind, my body quit on me.  In fact, it was the second long run last year where "it" happened...so I'm kinda psyching myself out about this week's 29K run. 

Well, I WAS psyching myself out, until I read Beth's post over at Shut Up and Run, about not being your own worst enemy and second guessing yourself.  This post was so timely and really hit home for me - particularly this part:

"But if you have put in your time, don’t second guess. Get behind yourself and your mental strength will add to your physical strength.  You see, it’s true what Henry Ford said, “Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right.” So, stop your questioning. Quiet your insecurities. You deserve to be at the start line of that race. You are a runner. You have put in your time. You create your outcome. Make it a good one."

No more second guessing.  At one point this week, I even started to think about the timing of things if I had to downgrade to the half marathon if I re-injured myself.  I'm stopping that kind of thinking (and I mean it this time!), because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, right?  I'm training hard and sticking to my training plan.  I'm eating properly this go around.  I'm working with my physio and doing my exercises.  I'm working hard on my form.  I'm stretching, stretching until I can't stretch any more.  Now I just have to let what's going on in my head catch up to what's going on with my body, cuz let me tell you...it's fallin' behind.

So here I go...I'm trusting in my training and squelching the little gremlin that keeps nagging at me.  We'll see you at the finish line on October 9th!

No comments: