Sunday, August 28, 2011

Dream Big?

Beth over at Shut Up and Run has inspired another post for me today.  She had this great post about times when she's been told that she couldn't or shouldn't do something...her first example being moving to Africa (which she didn't), and her second example of being told that Boston was not in the cards for her due to a stress fracture (which she did).  At the end of her post, she asked...

"Have you ever been told you couldn’t/shouldn’t do something you dreamed of? How did you react?"

In her mind, you can react one of two ways - believe them and prove them right, or believe in yourself and prove them wrong.  Hmmm...

The first situation that came to my mind was when I was in my early twenties, and admittedly pretty sheltered.  My parents were extremely overprotective, which is very typical of a strict Chinese upbringing.  I'd been floundering in what I wanted to do for school, and started becoming interested in nutrition (even though in hindsight, I knew nothing about it) and wanted to go to school to become a registered dietician.  This would involve me going to Vancouver, which my parents roundly and vehemently kiboshed.  They thought I should just stay in Victoria, and why did I need so much education?  Why didn't I just become a nice secretary for the government and work in an office somewhere?  Being so sheltered, young, and needing their moral and financial support...I caved and left my dietician dreams along the wayside.  This is one of my biggest regrets because as you know...health and wellness is something I believe in so strongly now.  But then again, my life would be so much different if I'd chosen that path and likely wouldn't have met Hubs or the friends I cherish so much now...so all is not lost, and I did come to find my passion later on in life.

The second situation that comes to mind actually happened not that long ago.  I was with a friend that I hadn't seen in many years, and somehow the topic of me training for a marathon came up.  Now I'm pretty seasoned with the "are you crazy??!" and "you're gonna blow out your knees!!" type comments, and they don't really bug me anymore because they're usually said in jest.  However, this person said "well, I mean I think it's great and all...but what on earth possessed you to do something like that?!  I mean, don't get me wrong, but why?"  Now keep in mind that the phrase "I think it's great and all" really doesn't mean that they think it's great and all...and the look on her face was one of disbelief tinged with derisiveness that I would ever even dare dream to do something like that.  Granted, this sea hag also knew me through my school years, where my athletic career was a big fat zero.  I don't know how I did it, but I managed to not drop kick her across the room and simply smiled and said that it was on my bucket list of things to do, all the while thinking in my head that I'd show her smug and self righteous ass when I post my finisher's medal all over freaking Facebook.  Maybe I'll even tag her in the photo so she sees it for sure.  Yes, I'm a little passive aggressive like that.  Heh.

Great post, Beth, you're officially my #1 girl crush.  Mwah.


No comments: