Monday, August 15, 2011

Thanks D

Today was one of those days that I'm so thankful for friends, and in particular I'm so grateful for one of my oldest friends, D.  We go way, way back...back to elementary school, when we were wee little things and we became fast friends.  D lived down the street from me, and we ended up hanging out together all the way to high school.  As time went on, we did what a lot of friends do and drifted apart and would see each other sporadically through the years, but we always seemed to pick up where we left off.  With D, I can be completely candid and say it like it is, and I know there's no judgement.  A sign of a true friendship.  We ended up reconnecting around the time of our 20th reunion...neither of us loved high school, but we made a pact to go together - strength in numbers, right?  Ha!  D was also the one who introduced me to bootcamp, which I honestly credit with helping me change my life. 

The other thing that I wanted to thank D for is for keeping me accountable.  So often, it's so easy to blow off a workout when it's just me.  Every Sunday and Thursday night, I drop D an email and we make a date for bootcamp for the next morning, and it totally keeps me on track.  What they say about signing up for things with friends is so true - you don't want to disappoint the other person, so you tend to not jam.  I was seriously exhausted after the long run on Saturday, and would have totally blown this off if D hadn't said she was going this morning.  For the first bit when we were just warming up, I could barely move my legs...they felt like they'd been filled with lead and that I was towing a piano behind my back.  As we headed off to the hill that Sarge likes to torture us with, I was completely dragging my sorry ass.  But as Sarge made us run hill after hill after hill, I felt better and better and by the end of the class I was so glad that I went. 

Thanks D.  You're the greatest.

No comments: