Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Heading to the Big City!


I'm getting excited - Hubs and I are off to the big city (Vancouver) this weekend for a little R and R.  Well, OK not really R and R, but it'll be a nice break to get away since from now until mid September we'll have houseguests for most of the time...sigh.  We have family coming from Edmonchuk so we're hanging out with them for most of the weekend.  As per usual when Hubs and I go away, we're already sussing out the food situation - where we gonna eat?  Where we gonna go?  Vancouver has the best Chinese food around bar none - apparently because when Hong Kong went back to China, all the top notch chefs came to Vancouver.   I don't think I've ever had a bad Chinese dinner in Vancouver - all the food is authentic and reasonably priced  - not the Westernized stuff.  Not that I don't love a good sweet and sour pork and chow mein binge every now and then, but it's not what I crave when I'm wanting Chinese food.  And the sushi!  We're in heaven when we go because the stuff we get over there is fresh, inexpensive and nice sized portions.  Hubs is super picky about his sushi as he's a trained Japanese cook so pretty much turns his nose up at all the sushi places in Victoria.  Wait a sec...even with all this training, I never seem to get any Japanese food made for me...huh, how about that.  Anyways, Vancouver is absolute foodie heaven and I love going there! 

And the shopping.  Don't get me started!  Whenever we hit Van, I always must worship at the temple of the Banana - Banana Republic that is.  For whatever reason, Banana Republic is not in Victoria - and I find it really, really difficult to find good quality, fashionable work clothes that fit my odd proportions...I'm only 5'2'' and I have what Hubs calls an "athletic build"...which in my interpretation is like being "husky" is for guys.  Ha ha!  Anyways, just cuz I'm short doesn't mean I'm a little old lady.  I do not need an elastic waistband in my pants.  Cutesie poo little details like bows, beads or sequins are bad.  And I actually have regular length arms - don't shorten the sleeves, please!   Anyways, I'm hoping to get a bit of time to dash off to check out some stores as hopefully some of the Fall clothes are filtering their way to the stores now and some good sales on summer stuff might be on.   Better warm up my credit card just in case!

So the big decision then - do we run in Victoria or Vancouver?  We have 15K on the menu - thank god, it'll seem short by comparison!  Hubs and I were contemplating running Friday morning, but if we do we'd have to be on the road at the ungodly hour of 4:30 am.  4:30 am!!!  That's crazy talk.  We could do it Sat morning in Van, but then it would cut into family time.  I think what we're going to do is run Thurs night and get it out of the way. 

Note - next week is my first foray into the thirties - 30K run, on the menu!

No comments: