Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Two Little Words

Good morning.

Two little words...but enough to make such a difference in a person's day.  Hubs and I headed out for our usual Wednesday early morning run, and both of us were feeling pretty meh and not really in the mood for  a run.  Now normally when we're out running this early, we see a few familiar faces out walking their dogs.  Maybe one or two people max, if any at all.  This morning...for whatever reason...we kept coming across other people running, walking, riding their bikes...and all one right after another.  I admit...I'm one of those people who sort of gives people a sideways glances and suss them out to see if they're friendly because more often than not, I've been met with a stony silence when I say hi to people I come across when I'm running (and yes, it really bugs me when people don't say hi back).  As we came across the first group of people, I was greeted with huge smiles and the cheeriest good mornings I've ever heard!   It's 5:30am and people are happy to see me...the mind boggles.   As we came across person after person, each one smiled and said good morning...and I have to say, it really put me in a great mood.  Yes, these people are strangers...but just a smile and a good morning can actually change how someone's day goes.   Feeling buoyed by these simple acts of friendliness, and we finished our runs off fast and strong.  So lesson learned...I'm smiling and greeting everyone I come across no matter what because maybe through one small act, I can make someone else's day.  What goes around comes around, right?

No comments: