Friday, October 29, 2010

Another Victory for Vij


I'm quickly falling in love with the Vij's at Home cookbook.  I've been looking through my cookbooks for some recipes to make during the 10 Pound Challenge - in return for Hubs doing the eating plan with me, I said I'd really zhuuuush up the food so he won't feel like he's missing anything.  Plus I'm sure just eating grilled chicken breast and steamed veggies for 8 weeks is going to be pretty tiresome.   I love a cooking challenge so I'm all over it!

I was intrigued when I saw this recipe for Spicy Cauliflower "Steak"....normally cauliflower isn't something I love, but I don't mind it.  The ingredients for this are pretty healthy and this recipe made it onto their Rangoli menu (Rangoli is the name of the bistro that is also owned by Vij) so I figured it had to be pretty good.

YUM-O, as stinkin' Rachel Ray would say.  I really like this one - Hubs really liked it too (mostly because he said it covered up the taste of the cauliflower - his words, not mine!) and it's pretty quick and easy to make and would be great with some rice or as a side for roast chicken.  Lots of flavour, and it's even tastier the next day. 

Spicy Cauliflower Steak - from Vij's at Home

1 head cauliflower
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 1/2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cayenne
10 cloves (optional)
3 inch cinnamon stick (optional)

Cut cauliflower as you would a pie, into 6 pieces if it's a smaller head and 8 pieces if it's a larger one.  Wash and drain.

Combine oil and tomatoes in a large wide pot on medium high heat.  Add ginger, salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cloves and cinnamon, stir well and saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until oil glistens from the tomatoes.

Reduce the heat to low while you mix in cauliflower.  Carefully place each large piece cauliflower into the pot and gently stir so that the tomato masala covers all the pieces.  if necessary, use a large spoon to ladle tomato masala into the nooks and crannies of the cauliflower pieces.

Increase the medium, cover and cook for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring once halfway through.  When you stir, if you notice the cauliflower isn't cooking, increase the heat.  Pierce one of the larger pieces with a knife to see if it is soft but not mushy.

My adjustments - I cut the oil down to about 1/8th of a cup and left out the cloves and cinnamon stick.  That's it - delish.

No comments: