Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Think First, Talk Later

In the infamous words of Kanye...Imma let you finish...but I gots something to say that's been festering inside me for ages and I have to let out.  Now normally I keep my thoughts to myself, but a few things have happened recently that's really brought this to the forefront and I had to blog about it.  Today is one of those "flows freely from the fingers" moments and I have to take advantage of these times while I can! 

Naysayers.  Ironic, isn't it?  I'm writing a blog post bitching about negative people.  One of the principles that I trytrytry to live by is to not judge others or their choices in life.  To each their own, is my motto.  Sure, if you were in imminent physical danger I'd speak up...or if you were thinking about running away with a convicted murder, of course I'd stop you.  But as far as general life decisions, I don't understand why people feel the need to make negative comments or pipe up with their two bits.  Maybe it's because they fear change, maybe they can't relate and feel the need to make fun of something that's different from what they would do, maybe those decisions make them rethink their choices.  I don't know...but whatever it is, it really chaps my hide when people aren't supportive.

A small example.  It's not a huge life changing event but something that I'm doing that is important to me.  I'm doing this 10 pound challenge and I'm doing it over the holiday season.  Yes, it'll be hard and I know it...I have my reasons for why I'm doing it then.  I've heard more than a few times about how hard/difficult/crazy it's going to be and that I'm nuts for even trying...just some really negative comments.  Well gosh...thanks so much for the overwhelming support!  I feel really great and positive now.  And so supported.  How about "hey, that's awesome - your running times will improve" or "good on ya, you'll start the new year off great!"  Frankly, that kinda shizz annoys the effing hell out of me and comments like that are just so unnecessary.   Luckily I'm a stubborn ass kind of person (I am a Taurus, after all) who'll dig their heels in and think "I'll show 'em"...but I've seen so many examples of this recently (and not just towards me) that it makes me want to cuff some people upside the head and ask them what kind of children their momma raised. Sure, I know I can just ignore people and their snide comments but sometimes it's not that easy.

So I'm going to put it out there - be kind.  Be supportive of others.   Think more about what we say (or write, for that matter) as you never know how words will affect someone.

No comments: