Sunday, September 5, 2010

Back on the Food Train

I think I've been a bit remiss in posting some of my latest recipe discoveries - I've been focussing so much on my running foibles, that I've forgotten about my other favourite subject food!  I've made this yummy rice salad a few times now, as it's one of Hubs' current faves.  He was so cute the other day, we were eating dinner and he was tucking into this rice salad...and he looked at me and thanked me for trying to so hard to find recipes that were less meat/more vegetarian so it would help his little cholesterol issue, but that still tasted really good.  *sniff* I got a little verklempt I must admit - being healthy is so important for a whole variety of reasons, but mostly because then we can enjoy our time together fully and hopefully for a long time!

Sri Wasano's Infamous Indonesian Rice Salad - from the New Moosewood Cookbook

1.  Place 2 cups brown rice and 3 cups water in a saucepan and boil until tender.

2.  While the rice cooks, combine in a larger bowl:

      1/3 cup peanut oil
      3 tbsp sesame oil
      1/2 orange juice
      1 to 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
      1 tsp salt
      2 tbsp soy sauce
      1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
      2 tbsp rice or cider vinegar
      1 cup chopped fresh pineapple

3.  Add the hot rice directly to the bowlful of dressing.  Mix well when it has cooled to room temperature, cover tightly and refrigerate until cold.  Shortly before serving stir in:

     3 scallions, finely minced
     1 stalk celery, finely minced
     1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
     1 8 oz can water chesnuts, drained and thinly sliced
     1/2 lb fresh mung bean sprouts
     1/2 cup raisins or currants
     1 cup coarsely chopped peanuts or cashews, lightly toasted
     2 tbsp sesame seeds
     optional - snow peas for garnish

Makes 4 - 6 servings

My changes - I omitted the pineapple (even though I'm sure it would be good) and the bean sprouts (this needed to keep for a few days so I thought these would go mushy).  I also cut waaay back on the oil - 1/3 cup is a LOT, I maybe used 1 tbsp as I thought there was enough sesame oil in this.

Ahhh...love the long weekends - still another day left!

No comments: