Friday, September 3, 2010

OK Body...You Win


I give!

Seems that my body is trying to tell me something.  First the foot, then the cold...now the cough.  Over the last 24 hours, my scratchy throat has turned into a very persistent cough - I'm sure I'm driving everyone in my office insane with the hacking (sorry dudes, I can't help it).  I've decided - after fighting against what I want to do vs. what I should do - to not attempt the 35K this weekend.  Really long distance running stresses your immune system, so it would be stupid to even attempt it when I haven't fully recovered from my cold - worst case scenario, I could end up with pneumonia or bronchitis.  I also haven't been sleeping well this past week due to my cold, so I'm also sleep deprived on top of being sick.  Not good.

I was googling everything I could find to see if my decision is right to assuage my guilt from not doing the run - and it looks like I'm doing the best thing.  It's now moved "below the neck" and into my chest, so I'm going to move the 35K to next weekend when I'm feeling better.  In the meantime, I'm going to pump myself full of vitamins and try and get some sleep to allow my body to recuperate.  There is no way that I'm going to let a cold stop me from running this race!

Silver lining?  It'll give some extra time for my foot to get better.  And it's the long weekend!!!  I CAN SLEEP IN!!!  Always gotta look at the bright side of things, right?

No comments: